Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Running a Minecraft Server Community

A manager doesn't manage people; they manage things and lead people.

   This is a quote that has stuck in my head for many years.  Unfortunately, I am unable to find the source of the quote.  If anyone happens to know it, please leave a comment below or click this link so I can provide proper accreditation.  Anywho, that quote, I feel, sums up quite well the role of a good community owner.  If you search the web, you'll find many good quotes that sum up what a leader is.


   Now that the quotes are out of the way, time to discuss the heart of the matter.  As the owner of OmniKraft, I hold a lot of responsibility to myself, my staff and more importantly, the community.  While my official title is owner, I prefer to see myself as a leader.  I always need to be thinking about new ideas, new directions, or tweaking what is current to make it better.  OmniKraft has been around for six months now, and there have been many lessons that I have learned.

    I think it's best to break these down into a few categories, that I can expand on in the future.

  • Community
  • Staff
  • Advertising
  • Finances
  • Leadership
  • Comittment
  • Creativity

    I have to say I didn't expect this editorial piece to be so large initially.  Go figure that as I write it, more ideas would pop into my head.  I do believe that this post is necessary though.  As a player of Minecraft, I have been on many bad servers.  I'm sure you all can rattle off a list of what makes a bad server, but that's not what this post is for.  There are also much information out there on how to run a server in the technical aspect. 

    There is very little information on how to actually lead a server community.  I think the obvious reason why is not many are good at writing (I'm not that great at it either), or are motivated to write.  Some probably want to keep the secrets of their success to themselves.  Regardless of the reason, I feel it's time for people to really learn what it takes to run a successful community.  I do this because there are too many bad servers out there, run by those who barely know what they are doing, or are just looking to make money off of it.

    I hope you'll will come back as I continue this piece to completion (if that's possible), expanding each of the above categories.  I'll add to this every Wednesday, and answer any questions that you have from the comments.  Until next time, ttfn, ta ta for now.


2 comments:

  1. I like to read stuff like this. The leadership aspect of running a server really intrigues me. And coming from a "successful" leader, I would really want to see more of these posts. On that note aswel wwould like to know what it takes and the millions of things you have to do. Keep up the good work -bencour (omnikraft lover)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I plan ton expand on this series in the coming weeks. Any questions you have I can answer as well.

    ReplyDelete