I desperately follow the floating object. Running through trees
and bushes, hearing the crashing noises and unnerving screams behind
me. Suddenly, the object falls to the ground at the base of a hill. I
grab it and throw it in the air again, but it just falls back down to
the same spot each time. Not sure what was going on and hearing the
noises behind me getting close, I grab the object and dash around for
somewhere to hide.
That's when it happened. I'm not
sure what triggered it, but the next moment I was watching a tree being
pushed over as those eyes appear around the trunk when suddenly, I'm
falling. After what seemed like an eternity, I hit the ground, hard. A
loud crack echos around the walls as I land on the stone floor. I
scream as the pain of the broken leg takes over. I take off my backpack
and scramble for a torch. Fumbling with the flint and steel in the
darkness of the cavern, and the pain of the broken leg, I hadn't noticed
the object glowing again.
As I get the torch lit, I
hear the screaming again. I quickly scramble up to my feet and fall
hard to the nearby wall, forgetting about my broken leg. That's when I
notice the object begin rolling down the floor. I watch as it rolls
around the corner, out of sight. Before I can decide if I should follow
the object, the decision is made for me as I hear the scream, louder
than ever.
I hobble against the wall as I follow
the object. Deeper and deeper into the maze of stone hallways. Past
iron doors and cages of rooms filled with bones. In my haste to follow
the object, I failed to see a lone stone brick on the floor. I slip on
it and fall to the floor, and down some stairs. I must have hit my
head, because when I opened my eyes, it was throbbing. I slowly get up
and try to get my bearings.
As soon as I spot the
object, I hear the screaming behind me, from around the corner.
Suddenly, I see the eyes again. I turn and dash towards the object,
which had rolled into a brightly lit room, a room lit by lava. I
stumble up the steps in front of me to see, well, I don't really know
what I see. All I can make out is blackness in this ring of objects. A
crashing sound turns my attention away to what's behind me. I see..
him. Feeling a fear I haven't never felt before, I look into his eyes.
Stories told to me as a kid, stories I thought that were told to kits
to get them to go to sleep, flash through my mind. I notice his gaze
shift to the object in my hand and he takes a step forward. A blaze
haze begins to form behind him as he moves forward, slowly moving
forward. As his hand reaches out for me, something happened!
"Wha.. wha... what happened Grandpa!?" shouts the little girl at my
feet. "What? Oh, what happens next you ask?" I ask, looking at the
little girl at my feet. She looks up at me with feareful eyes, "yes
Grandpa! That's what I asked!" I smile into those innocent eyes.
"Haha, young one. The store is far too scare to continue. Perhaps I'll
tell you the rest when you're older." The boy, the girl's brother
looks around, shaking. "But... but... mom and dad said the boogeyman
doesn't exist!"
I smile as I lean forward "Ahh, but
he does exist! I have seen him myself! Though, you don't have to
worry. It is said he only comes out when his treasure has been taken."
"But you stole the treasure, Grandpa!" both the little kids shout as
they look around nervously. "That was ages ago young ones, though I may
have the treasure, he has not haunted me since..." my sentence trails
off as the wind outside cottage blows, and I hear a faint sound. A
sound all too familiar.
No comments:
Post a Comment